If you're ready for a user-friendly deep dive into the legal and practical details of starting and running a business or nonprofit, check out my books published by Nolo Press.
I don’t sell my books directly, but each title below has links to purchase at your local, indie bookstore (or, if you prefer, a mega-retailer).
The only California-specific book for small business start-ups
Get your California start-up off the ground with the financial, legal, and practical tools needed to set up and run a small business in the Golden State. The Small Business Start-Up Kit for California shows how to:
- write an effective business plan and choose the right business structure
- raise start-up funding
- get necessary state and local licenses and permits
- manage finances and taxes, and
- market your business successfully.
Includes key business forms and information every California start-up needs! Read more…
Build a great nonprofit
Starting a nonprofit organization? Find the practical advice and legal information you need to get your nonprofit up and running. With Starting & Building a Nonprofit, you’ll learn how to:
- choose a federal tax-exempt status
- launch a successful fundraising plan, and
- manage board members, staff, and volunteers. Read more…