The week of July 6, 2020, Mon to Fri until things are gone
1600 Lomas NW, parking lot on the west side of the Watson Building, at the far back/south end of the parking lot next to the blue dumpster
What’s the deal?
My family is cleaning out closets and cabinets and drawers and finding hidden stashes of things and trying to make space, and our typical places where we donate are closed due to COVID. So to finally get this stuff OUT OF OUR HOUSE, so I thought it would be efficient to have a “sale” of sorts in my office parking lot at 1600 Lomas NW, except most everything will be free because I don’t want to have to be there watching over the stuff. Just take it!
Here’s how it will work: Starting today, I’ll be leaving “free boxes” in my office parking lot at 1600 Lomas NW. I’ll do my best to post photos of items over on my Facebook page as I take them over.
Types of things you’ll find are: clothes (kids and adult), housewares, toys, books, broken things and like-new things, weird things and boring things.
It occurred to me that some of you might be inclined to “pay” for some of these things if you have the means, so I thought, why not give you the opportunity to direct those funds to nonprofits I like to support anyway? So I get space in my house, you get free stuff, I don’t have to hang around to supervise a sale, and charities get some cash. Win-win-win-win! Here’s how it works:
The Freemarket Part:
Check out my office parking lot at 1600 Lomas NW (parking lot on the west side of the Watson Building) for free boxes/bags starting Monday July 6 throughout the week. I’ll put stuff next to the blue dumpster at the back/south end of the lot. I’ll try to post photos over at my Facebook page as I drop things off there. I may be puttering around but mostly it will be unsupervised. The only rules are you must:
- WEAR MASKS and
- STAY 6 FEET AWAY FROM OTHER HUMANS (other than your household members)
I would prefer that folks wear gloves when touching any items, and to be mindful about not touching stuff too much or at all if you’re not sure you’ll take it. Basically please take germ control seriously!
Anything that is left over may end up in the dumpster so please just take whatever you need/want.
The Fundraiser Part:
If you come and take free stuff (or even if you don’t) and you have the means, please consider donating to one of our family’s favorite causes. You can do that right here by clicking directly to the following donation pages; all orgs listed below are 501c3s or have fiscal sponsors, so your donations are tax-deductible.
- ABQ Mutual Aid: Provides food and hygiene products to at-risk families across Central New Mexico. A project of Fight For Our Lives.
- ASPCA: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals does what its name says.
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund: Works to protect voters and advance the causes of racial justice, equality, and an inclusive society.
- New Mexico Immigrant Law Center: Fights for immigrant rights in New Mexico and beyond.
- Pueblo Action Alliance: Promotes cultural sustainability by addressing environmental and social impacts in indigenous communities.
- SWOP: The SouthWest Organizing Project works to empower our communities in the SouthWest to realize racial and gender equality and social and economic justice.
- Sweet Relief COVID-19 Fund: Provides assistance for performing musicians impacted by COVID.
Thanks in advance for any funds you can rain upon these organizations!
Hope you can score some good stuff! Here are some pics.